Having a colony of termites in your house is annoying and stressful. Is your home experiencing termite infestation? The formation of termite colonies can cause severe damage to your house. To ensure this will not happen, it is important to take care of your house maintenance and eliminate them right when you spot them. The best action that you can do is to contact a professional termite exterminator.
Here are the few reasons why you need to consult a pest control professional in the United States instead of doing it yourself in treating termites.
- Doing do-it-yourself procedures in killing termites does not totally remove the termites. Some survive like the queen, and it will start infesting your house again.
- Termites are secretive in nature; that is why it is not easy to locate them or to look for any termite activity, especially if you do not have experience and training on termites, how to treat them as well.
- A trained pest control expert will assure you that the treatments that they will use are safe and non-toxic.
Getting rid of the termites in your house depends on the termite species that infest your home.
How to Eliminate termites in your home
When living in the United States, the last option that you want is to figure out the termites infesting your house. As you can see, termites are not harmful to people because they are not venomous, and it does not bite people, but, the termite damage can cost a lot. You need to prepare to repair your house and monitor it if there is any termite problem occurring. It typically costs thousands of dollars to treat termites, and it is only for repair.
The professional’s advice that if you want to get rid of the any type of termites in your home, you need to make preparations. These preparations are to stop drywood termites in locating your property and do not attract them. The steps include:
- Repair your roof. If your roof is broken, it is vulnerable to moisture. And moisture is the perfect place for termite infestations. It will attract them and soon chew your roof and start building their nests.
- Pay attention to your air conditioner. If you have an air conditioner near your window, pay close attention to it. Your air conditioner is producing moisture, it drips, and it causes the wood in your window wet and become a perfect area for termite colonies.
- Evaluate the woods around your house. In the summer and spring season, the winged termites called termite swarmers are active, especially in reproduction. You being a homeowner, you need to be proactive. Discarded wings are not capable of making mud tubes but you may find discarded wings. Make time in checking the beams made of wood, and areas exposed with direct moisture around your home. You can press your fingers or thumb in the exposed wood, and if it suddenly cracks, there is potential termite activity. You need to figure these things out immediately to reduce the termite damage.
- Remove boxes that you are not using. The termites are known to eat stuff like paperboard boxes. If you store lots of boxes in your home, you will probably be a target of termites. You can reduce your risks by storing your things in plastic boxes. It will reduce the damage of termite infestation.
- Reduce your wood usage. If you are using woods while cooking, you can still keep that. But make sure that you store it in places that are away from moist. Try not to put it on your house’s side because it can attract drywood termites to live in your home.
- Arrange your garden. Be careful in the kind of insulation or mulch that you use in the garden. Try to look at materials that are made of rubber or gravel.
- Reduce the moisture. Check if there are leaking pipes or materials that are vulnerable to moisture. You also look at places where there is damp wood that can attract termite problem.
- Seal your doors and windows. If the termite swarmers, they are winged termites begin to look for their potential nest, they target the windows and doors. They go through the broken doors and window screens. To prevent things from worsening, seal these places.
- Inspect the furniture and wood floors. The termites can eat any wood; it does not only target wooden beams. Check your hardwood floors, pay attention to your wooden furniture, and check the wooden structures.
- Do not pile up your clothing. Termites are searching for cellulose and some fabrics that can be as good as woods. Arrange your clothes, and do not pile them up. It would be best if you put them in places away from moisture to avoid termite infestation.
How to Avoid Having Subterranean Termites
The subterranean termites live in the ground and use their properties to expand their territory and have food. The soil in your home should be treated to terminate the termites outside and inside your home.
The termite monitoring and baiting and conventional programs are some methods that you can use to get rid of subterranean termites.
Termite Monitoring and Baiting
In this method, the termite control specialist will install termite bait stations in the soil around your home. They will identify the areas that are prone to termites and install the baits.
It would be best if you keep the baits until the termites are fully terminated. It will keep your home from re-infestation. If the process is over, you will not have any more problems with a termite infestation.
Conventional Termite Procedures
A conventional termite procedure applies liquid termiticide in the soil until the depth of your perimeter structure.
The conventional termite treatment will kill the colonies the moment the working termite is out in collecting food. The moment that they have the contact of the treated soil, they will die. Furthermore, the soil treatment will exterminate the galleries and tunnels that connect the termites in the foundation of your home.
How to Avoid Having drywood termites
In treating drywood termites, there are two primary termite treatment methods: spot treatment and fumigation services.
Fumigation is the process of disinfecting the areas with signs of termites. It is one of the effective ways to eradicate termites in dry wood. It is an invasive treatment where you need to leave your property for a few days, but rest assured that you will not suffer termites after the procedure.
Spot Treatment. It is an alternative in eliminating termite in dry woods. In this process, the specialist will inject the solution directly to the affected areas and galleries. In most cases, they use a borescope to spot the termites easily. The termite’s queen is hiding in the deep edges, so it will make the work easier.
Termite infestations are difficult to find and hard to deal with. You may handle your pest control, or you may request help from the pest control professionals. Although you can let the experts deal with damage and getting rid of the termites in your home, it is the best deal as a homeowner that you know how to recognize for any termite activity progressing in your property. Overall, the best method of getting rid of termites in your house is by preventing them from occurring. Besides having ideas about termites and finding their presence in your home, knowing some preventive measures will always be a great help.