Termites are active on all of Hawaii’s islands: Nihue, Kauai, Oahu, Molokai, Lanai, Maui, Kahoolawe and the Big Island.
What Types of Termites Are in Hawaii?
Subterranean and drywood termites are famous for their damages done to homes in Hawaii. Dampwood termites also are common in Hawaii; But, dampwood termites only cause less damage to structures than subterranean and drywood termites.
Are Formosan Termites in Hawaii?
There has been presence of Formosan termites in Hawaii since the mid-1800s. Based on experts estimate Hawaiian residents and business owners are said to spend $100 million annually in order to control and repair damage from Formosan termites.
The Formosan termite is very active across most of Oahu (including Honolulu) and Kauai islands. On the other islands, where its actual location is near seaports, this species has been identified in Hilo, Honokaa, Kamuela, Kawaihae, Waikoloa, Kona, Kahului, Wailuku, Maalaea, Kihei, Lahaina, Kaunakakai, Kalaupapa and at the Kaumalapau Harbor.
When Do Termites Swarm in Hawaii?
Due to how warm and humid the Hawaii climate is, various species of termites will likely swarm any time during the year. The swarming habits of the most common species in Hawaii are described below.
- The Formosan termite can swarm any time of the year in Hawaii. Large swarms can likely take place in May and June.
- Basically this species swarms at night.
- The Indo-Malaysian drywood termite swarms mostly during the day in the summer.
- The western drywood termite swarms during the day in the summer.
- The Pacific dampwood termite swarms at dusk or night in the summer.
- The West Indian drywood termite swarms at night in the summer.
- The Hawaiian lowland tree termite basically swarms in the summer. It infests structures rarely.
- The Hawaiian forest tree termite swarms in the summer. It rarely infests structures.
More Information about Termites in Hawaii
According to Termite Infestation Probability Zones (TIP Zones), Hawaii is located in TIP Zone #1 (very heavy), stating that the ability for termite damage is very possible. Areas that possess high tendencies for termite activity demand more termite control measures to meet International Residential Code building standards for new homes than areas with less frequent activity.
States like Hawaii where termites are very active and in large numbers, need essential maintaintance and effective termite prevention and control program. Incase you have a home in Hawaii, converse with your termite control expert about methods that will assist in protecting your home from termite infestations and damage.