January 20, 2020
TweetSharePin1Share34 SharesHomemade Natural Squirrel Repellents5 (100%) 2 votes
If you are a tomatoes gardener or own a garden, it is expected that you must have had your day with squirrels now and then. And if you keep your bird feeders in your garden, you are sure to have given an invitation to a squirrel to visit your garden or farm as squirrels love bird feeders as much as the bird do.
This article aims to help you combat squirrel attacks on your garden and farm, using natural methods, so we you can end up chasing the squirrel from your farm and not to kill them.
What you should know?
It is vital to understand the truth that animals just like the squirrel usually become habituated and used to a repellent when it is used over time, so to ensure that your repellent works effectively you have to switch between various options regularly, to keep your garden and farm safe from squirrel invasion.
Just like the name, natural repellents are made from natural products and plants, and are not chemically infested.
The goal of natural repellents is to keep squirrels off your garden and farm, by creating an offensive odor as they are usually chased by smell or by planting some plants that will affect their taste when they eat such plants and this will keep them away.
Before we dive into the natural repellent, which are homemade, to save yourself the stress you can choose to buy ready-made repellent, that contains natural deterrent smells and odors stores, as this will save you time.
Homemade Natural Squirrel Repellents
Plants and oils have proven overtime to be a perfect repellent for squirrels and can keep them away from your property for a long time, so here are some plants and oils you can use as natural repellents and also how to prepare it.
1. The Use of Pepper flakes: This is one of the easiest to prepare and use, all you have to do to keep the squirrels out is to spread the pepper flakes all over your farm or garden. The smell and taste of pepper flacks will keep squirrels away from your farm and garden and this method is all naturally.
2. The use of Fresh pepper as a repellent: Another natural repellent for keeping squirrels out of your farm is the use of fresh paper and this is how to prepare it: collect 3 cayenne pepper from your garden if you have and blend them using a blender or your food processor.
You then strain you with a cheesecloth, after which you are to mix the solution with water, preferably a gallon. Once you are done with the steps above, add the solution to a bottle you can use for spraying, then dilute it with water, once done, add a spoon of vegetable oil to the solution and you are good to go.
Spray your homemade repellent close to plants, trees and fences. Reapply the solution when there’s rainfall and you will be sure to keep the squirrels away.
3. The use of Cooked pepper: This is yet another proven homemade natural repellent for squirrels and this is how to do it:
Start by putting water on your gas and allow it to boil, while it boils, add a yellow onion to the water, add 2 jalapeno peppers to the boiling water, ensure to wash your hands after cutting the jalapeno paper, then add a spoon of cayenne pepper to the water as well and allow it to boil for about 30 minutes, once this is achieved you must allow it cool a little and then transfer it to your spray bottle.
Apply the solution near plants, to trees and fences on your garden and you are sure to keep squirrels off your garden by the smell of this solution.
4. The use of Squirrel Baffle: A squirrel baffle is another way of keeping the squirrels away from your farm, this method had been tested and proven effective and this is how you can make your squirrel baffle:
Purchase a plastic bowl from your local store, but ensure it is a deep plastic bowl. Once you have the plastic bowl, cut the lip on the container, which will then make very difficult for squirrels to pull, cut a hole in the container, preferably the middle.
Ensure that the gab on the container matches with that on the pole of the bird feeder. Next step is to cut down a side of the plastic bowl to its center and puncture holes along each side of your cut. Finally, flatten the cut side and tighten it with the feeder pole.
The last step is to bolt the baffle using bolts, and screws, during this will keep the squirrels away from your bird feeders.
5. The use of Mothballs: Mothballs have proven to be an effective way of keeping squirrels away from the garden, to use this method, all you have to do is to place the mothballs around your farm, garden and flower pots and you are sure of keeping the squirrels away.
Homemade Natural Squirrel Repellents
While using the mothballs ensure you keep them away from kids and also pets, as mothballs had proven to be harmful to kids and pets when ingested.
A use or combination of one or more of the methods listed above is proven to be very effective in keeping squirrels away from your garden, however as a safety precaution always keep away from the reach of children.
TweetSharePin1Share34 SharesRelated ItemsHomemade Squirrel RepellentsNatural Squirrel RepellentsSquirrel Repellents
A Guide to Termite Prevention5 (100%) 1 vote Termites usually destroy homes by eating wood…
Learn how to first Avoid Termites, Termite Inspection, Best Practices in Killing and Getting Rid of Termites yourself. Best Homeowner Blog, Learn how to Kill Termites, Ants, Mosquitoes, Bugs, Spiders and many other Home Pests. Get Rid of Termites, Termite Treatment Cost, Termite Inspection. and other Termite and Pest control practices.
1. Naija Donors
2. thecar nigeria
3. Kray Express
4. Mytrip Ng